The European Commission has recently published Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/1416 of August 24, 2016 amending and correcting Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food.
This amendment touches several points of the main Regulation (EU) 10/2011, with the following changes:
• Article 3 introduces the definition of “hot-fill”.
• Annex 1 ten new authorized substances and amending others; adding two notes for the verification of compliance, adding FCM number 1048 to Group number 2.
• Annex 2, adding in table 2 the metal aluminium and lowering the limit for Zinc.
• Annex III, table 1 (list of food simulants) is completely replaced.
• Annex V is widely modified in its sections, especially table 2 “Selection of test temperature” and table 3 “Standardised conditions for testing the overall migration”.
This regulation will apply on different dates:
• It enters into force on September 14, 2016, twenty days following its publishing in the Official Journal of the EU.
• September 14, 2017, this is the deadline for placing in the market plastic materials and articles which are compliant with Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 before the entry into force of the latest Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/1416. Such materials may remain on the market until exhaustion of stocks.
• September 14, 2018, which is the date of the entering into force for the specific migration limits of aluminium and zinc.
Access to the latest regulatory changes for EU as they get published on EUR-lex is available on Selerant Compliance Cloud’s Food News Monitoring Sysytem. Please contact us for more information.