On November 12, 2020, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority issued Amendment Instrument on “Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code — Schedule 20 — Maximum residue limits Variation Instrument No. APVMA 8, 2020” under the Food Standards Australia New Zealand Act 1991.
The scope of the amendment highlights the below:
- The instrument amends the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code - Schedule 20 - Maximum residue limits to set new and varied maximum residue limits and make changes to certain residue definitions, commodities and substances
- The Standard is applicable to Australia only. In New Zealand, maximum residue limits for agricultural compounds are set out in a Maximum Residue Limits Standard.
- The object of this instrument is for the APVMA to make variations to Schedule 20 - Maximum residue limits in the Australia New Zealand Food StandardsCode to include or change maximum residue limits pertaining to agricultural and veterinary chemical products.
- Omitting the chemical residue definition for Isofetamid and substituting the following Permitted residue—commodities of plant origin: Isofetamid
- Permitted residue—commodities of animal origin: Sum of Isofetamid and 2-[3-methyl-4-[2-methyl-2-(3-methylthiophene-2- carboxamido) propanoyl] phenoxy]propanoic acid (PPA), expressed as isofetamid
- Omitting from each of the following chemicals, the foods and associated MRLs.
- Inserting for each of the following chemicals the foods and associated MRLs in alphabetical order for various chemicals and pesticides.
- Omitting for each of the following chemicals, the maximum residue limit for the food and substituting for various chemicals and pesticides.
The Regulation is effective from November 12, 2020.