On August 26, 2019, the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety of Korea has updated the list of additives publishing the “Partial Amendment of the Korea Food Additives Code / Korea Food Additives Standard and Specification(No.2019-71)”
The major changes of the publication are the following:
- Establishment of general use standards for food additives used in culture such as microorganisms
- Revision of ingredient specification and the test method of 6 food additives including “glutamic acid”
- The scientific name of origin material of 59 natural flavorings are revised
- Revision of the usage standard for 13 food additives, such as potassium hydroxide.
- The categories of “infant cereal products” and “other infant products” have been merged into a single category, named “infant weaning food, the usage of 11 food additives have been revised to align with the new categorization.
- Revised the usage standard for potassium hydroxide and heme iron.
- Improvement of the test method for disinfection and sterilization in general tests.
- In case food additives recognized as processing aids are used for other purposes, additional safety data is required