In this regulation Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Thirteenth Amendment Regulations, 2017 as well as Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restrictions on sales) First Amendment Regulations, 2017 regarding restrictions on sale of cream will come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette. Food business operators must comply with all the provisions in these regulations by July 1, 2018.
The new standard features will:
- Redefine dairy products, both conventional and non-conventional in a more comprehensible manner and as per international practices.
- Introduce new standards for camel milk, dairy whitener, edible lactose,flavoured dahi, fermented milk drinks (lassi etc.) and revised standards forcow milk (uniform throughout the country).
- Introduce provisions for adding micronutrients, probiotics and prebiotics aswell as enzymes to dairy products.
- Cover food for infant nutrition such as infant milk substitute and detailed provision on usage of additives.
- Provide general labelling guidelines and conditions for naming dairy products.