In order to make informed decisions, users across the product life cycle must be able to understand how formula modifications have changed over time throughout testing, versioning and production. However, collecting and comparing product data as it changes and passes between working groups is an extremely manual process and difficult to do when versions aren’t tracked or stored in the same system.
Formula History View
A new Formula Timeline View in DevEX 3.6 provides a single, comprehensive visual overview of a formula’s entire history of modification and use. Users across departments can see how a formula has changed over time, including both the formula as a whole as well as its individual components.
Each time a new ingredient type or variant is used in the formula and see the full history of changes
- Select, view and company multiple versions of formulas
- See exactly how formula composition has changed over time
- Execute date-based display of formula composition for one or more selected versions, including MFV- based comparisons
- Generate standard formula version timeline reports
- See the relationship between all of a formula’s versions and any specification that uses it
For example, when it comes to developing infant formula, having a specific and accurate list and quantity of nutrients on product labels is incredibly important. Yet, natural daily variations in the primary milk ingredient (variations in climate, a cow’s nutritional intake, etc.) can introduce a range of factors into the product formula that can deviate it from the product specification.
With DevEX 3.6, R&D scientists can not only easily adjust the ingredient properties within the infant formula recipe on the fly and automatically calculate if those properties affect the final formula against an acceptable range of properties, but they can also use the Formula Timeline Review to see previous versions of the formula and provide Regulatory groups with a quick snapshot of changes.
Prepare Manufacturing Needs at the Formula Level
When it comes to physical product management, a product’s full recipe structure is usually not designed prior to moving from product development stages to activation for manufacturing.
DevEX 3.6 offers a new equipment management module that ties equipment types and inventory directly to product formulas. By connecting the science of the formulation to the capabilities of manufacturing systems at the research stage, product developers can:
- Prepare recipes for future transfer to commercial manufacturing systems.
- Seamlessly share product data between product developers, process engineers and manufacturing plants.
- Link equipment needs to product attributes, streamlining manufacturing once product development is completed.
- Use product quality control parameters within recipes.
This type of alignment between product formulation and manufacturing outcomes is not possible without the comprehensive digital data transfer of PLM system.
DevEX 3.6 offers even tighter product development by linking from research, review, approval and production data points together, making it easy to make decisions regarding formula components, share information across departments and shore up internal operations.
Learn more about DevEX 3.6 by scheduling a demo with us today.